I am starting to see the FAKE Wine Making Society Freebies going around again. These are NOT LEGITIMATE. This fake offer has been around for YEARS and no one has ever received a single thing. All you get it a pop up at the end of the claim form that tries to get you to fill out surveys.
The Wine Making Society has several different fake freebies that go around from time to time. There is a fake free Wine Corkscrew, a fake free wine bottle holder and a fake free wine mug (I drink my wine from a glass anyway, but that is besides the point).
What happens if I signed up for this?
- Most likely nothing. You might notice more spam in your inbox (especially if you did the popup survey at the end) but that is about it.
What can I do to avoid fake freebies in the future?
- Investigate the sites hosting them or the Facebook pages that house them. For instance, the Wine Making Society Facebook Page has been around since 2012 and doesn’t have a website at all. That s the first red flag.
- Avoid freebies that have pop ups. If you sign up for a freebie that has a pop up at the end (we have all done it) refrain from sharing it, this only causes issues for other people.
- Be wary of nicer freebies that have been around a while. I know that the Wine Industry has lots of money, but no one, and I mean no one, is going to have free wine bottle holders, corkscrews and mugs that stay available for years at at time. This would cost a company way too much money. These types of freebies are available from time to time from legitimate sources, but they are in very limited quanities.
Why do people make fake freebies?
- Reason 1 – They want to build up the numbers on a social media page and then sell it for profit.
- Reason 2 – They put a pop up survey on the end (like this one) and then make money off of each survey people complete.
- Reason 3 – They want to get your information and sell it to other companies.
- There are any number of reasons people do this. The best thing is to avoid them and avoid sharing the pages that engage in this sort of activity.